Throughout the 2017 college football season, the Tournament of Roses and the Rose Bowl Game Football Committee will select players from each partner conference as the Big Ten and Pac-12 Player of the Week. For their outstanding performances in week one, Penn State running back Saquon Barkley and UCLA quarterback Josh Rosen were selected by the 17-person committee.
Big Ten Player of the Week
Saquon Barkley, Penn State
Jr., RB, Coplay, Pa.
- Ran for 172 yards on just 14 carries to help Penn State start the year with a 52-0 win over Akron
- Added 54 receiving yards and 20 kick return yards for a Big Ten-leading 246 all-purpose yards
- Scored two touchdowns, including an 80-yard run, the second longest TD run of his PSU career
- This is Barkley’s second career Big Ten Player of the Week honor (Week 10, 2016)
Pac-12 Player of the Week
Josh Rosen, UCLA
Jr., QB, Manhattan Beach, Calif.
- Rallied the Bruins for the largest comeback in school history (34 points) to beat Texas A&M, 45-44
- Threw for a career-high 491 yards and four touchdowns, with all four TD’s in the fourth quarter
- Tied former Bruin Cade McNown with his second 400-yard passing game and 11th 300-yard game
- This is Rosen’s second career Pac-12 Player of the Week honor (Week 5, 2016).
Big Ten: Josey Jewell, Iowa; Tyrell Pigrome, Maryland; Tre Bryant, Nebraska; J.T. Barrett, Ohio State; J.K. Dobbins, Ohio State.
Pac-12: Vic Wharton, Cal; Phillip Lindsay, Colorado; Royce Freeman, Oregon; Ronald Jones, USC; Darren Carrington II, Utah; James Washington, Washington State.