ROYAL COURT INTERVIEWS
The Tournament of Roses invites you to become a part of history in the search for the 2019 Royal Court and 101st Rose Queen.
The 2019 Royal Court will attend nearly 100 community and media functions, serving as ambassadors of the Tournament of Roses, the Pasadena community, and the greater Los Angeles area.
The grand finale for the Royal Court will be riding on the Royal Court float in the 130th Rose Parade® presented by Honda and attending the 105th Rose Bowl Game® presented by Northwestern Mutual, both on Tuesday, January 1, 2019
Download 2019 Royal Court Interview information HERE. 2019 Royal Court application portal will open on August 1, 2018.
100TH ROSE QUEEN AND 2018 ROYAL COURT
BENEFITS OF BEING ON THE ROYAL COURT
- Immerse yourself in an organization dedicated to hands-on volunteerism and discover opportunities to connect with and give back to your local community
- Develop your public speaking and etiquette skills, and grow your self confidence
- Receive a financial educational scholarship, wardrobe for appearances, public speaking class credit, and chaperoned transportation to and from Royal Court activities
- Make lifelong friendships, and become a role model for others
- Be a female, at least 17 years of age by December 31, 2018, and not more than 21 years of age before January 5, 2019
- Be a resident of the Pasadena Area Community College District and able to provide verification of residence
- Be a senior in high school or enrolled as a full-time student (minimum 12 units) in any accredited school or college in the Pasadena Area Community College District
- Possess at least a 2.0 grade point average in both the current and previous years’ course work and able to provide verification of same
- Be available to participate in person in all scheduled interview sessions
- Register and complete the official Royal Court online application
ROYAL COURT FAQ
Eleven men and women make up the Royal Court selection committee. They are all volunteer members of the Tournament of Roses who have been appointed to serve on the Queen & Court Committee. The committee members and their spouses also serve as chaperones for all Royal Court activities and appearances.
If you have not filled out an application prior to coming to the initial interview session, you will need to do so when you arrive. We strongly encourage you to complete the application online prior to your arrival at the initial interview session. You will check-in upon arrival and be assigned a badge number to retain anonymity. There will be a brief orientation session before you are directed to make your introduction to the selection committee. One or more former Royal Court members will be available to help answer your questions, and tours of Tournament House will be offered. You should plan to spend two to three hours at your initial interview.
You have 15 seconds in front of the Queen & Court Committee to state your badge number and tell them why you want to be on the Royal Court. The selection committee will not ask you any questions nor will they ask you to begin speaking.
Following the initial interview sessions, the Queen & Court Committee will meet and determine who to invite for the second round of interviews. Approximately 250 young women are asked to return. Third round interviews are then narrowed to about 75 participants, and then to approximately 25 Royal Court Finalists, from whom the seven Royal Court members are selected.
Shortly following each round of interviews, participants are notified by email if they are invited to participate in the next round of interviews.
No. If you are selected as a member of the Royal Court, you will receive a small educational scholarship, wardrobe for your appearances, public speaking class credit, and chaperoned transportation to and from Royal Court activities.
Yes. The Queen & Court Committee and pool of participants change from year to year, and previous experience can help you feel more at ease during the interview process. Many former members of the Royal Court have participated more than once.