SENIOR DIRECTOR – MARKETING, COMMUNICATIONS & MEMBERSHIP
The Pasadena Tournament of Roses Association is a volunteer organization that hosts America’s New Year Celebration with the Rose Parade presented by Honda, the Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual, and a variety of accompanying events. The earliest Tournament of Roses welcomed 3,000 spectators to its first parade filled with orange blossom decked horse-drawn carriages. Today, the parade floats are a marvel of state-of-the-art technology, all tucked away beneath flowers and other all-natural materials. Viewers and visitors experience the beauty of the floral floats along with spirited marching bands and high-stepping equestrian units along the 5 ½ mile route down Colorado Boulevard. The Rose Parade is one of the largest televised, live entertainment events. With a viewing audience of more than 37 million individuals, the Rose Parade is carried live on New Year’s Day by ABC, NBC, Univision, Hallmark Channel, RFD-TV and KTLA 5 in Southern California. The parade is also streamed live by Funny or Die.
SUMMARY OF PURPOSE OF JOB
Oversees all aspects of the Association’s membership, marketing, branding and communications efforts. Manages the membership and integrated marketing and communications team. Develops and implements systems and processes that create consistency and efficiencies for the overall brand, marketing initiatives, media relations, social media, public relations and Association membership recruitment and services.
The position will report to the Executive Director/CEO.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develops and executes the Association’s integrated marketing and communication strategies to include use of traditional, social and new media platforms.
- Oversees the management and operations of the Association’s membership services department.
- Provides creative direction and insights for marketing and communications materials used for branding, internal and external communications, and creative services.
- Oversees development and use of branding and advertising strategies that are aligned closely with the needs of the Association
- Leads internal public relations strategies using internal staff and external vendors.
- Creates, maintains and oversees digital and non-digital Association archives.
- Oversees website content, website development and social media strategy for the Association.
- Manages direct reports, to include: selection of staff, establishing goals and performance expectations, coaching and directing assignments, evaluation of performance and professional development.
- Develops and manages marketing strategies that provide clarity and consistency around the Association’s brand and image to various stakeholders.
- Works collaboratively with Parade Development team to manage the Grand Marshal selection process; directs and oversees Grand Marshal’s participation in all Association activities and events including public appearances and media involvement from selection through New Year’s Day activities.
- Assists with Rose Parade broadcast communications as needed.
- Manages relationships and outreach with local and national media outlets; drives media coverage for the Association’s New Year’s activities.
- Selects, develops and maintains vendor and agency relationships in support of the needs of the Marketing and Communications department.
- Develops and manages operating budget for assigned area; full P&L responsibility; provides variance reporting to senior management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- BS degree in Marketing, Communications or related field plus 10 years progressively more responsibility leading marketing, communications and/or media relations teams.
- Master’s degree preferred.
- Experience working in membership driven or large non-profit organization.
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED (unless stated otherwise)
- Demonstrated management and leadership of professional staff
- Sound judgment and decision making
- Planning skills
- Problem solving skills
- Negotiation skills
- Advanced writing skills
- Prioritization skills
- Works effectively with deadlines
- Meeting facilitation skills
- Open to feedback
- Team focus with strong collaboration skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to develop and manage a budget
- Adaptable and flexible with change
- Strategic thinking skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good coping skills in high stress situations
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- MS Office Suite
If interested, please send resumes to email@example.com.