Senior Director, Community Relations
SUMMARY OF PURPOSE OF JOB
This position is responsible for the Association’s commitment to community relations, whether local or distant. Leads all the Association efforts that engage, collaborates and/or interacts with the communities closely related to the work of the Association. This position also coordinates activities, as the primary staff liaison, for the Association’s Community Relations Committee and Government and Public Affairs Subcommittee and coordinates the Association’s disability seating for the Rose Parade.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following: Other duties may be assigned.
- Designs and maintains a comprehensive community outreach plan for the Association.
- Integrates and coordinates community relations initiatives and goals with all Association interests, i.e. Game, Parade, sponsorships, government/community affairs, marketing and communications.
- Attend City and other important community events as a representative of the Association and help strengthen the relationship of the Association with the community.
- Serve as the liaison with the community relations staffs and efforts undertaken by the Tournament of Roses partners and stakeholders such as universities, conferences and the College Football Playoff. Integrates appropriate campaigns and initiatives of stakeholders into the Association.
- Serves as the primary liaison to elected officials representing Pasadena at the local, county and statewide level, as well as the surrounding region.
- Serves as the Executive Director of the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Foundation.
- Coordinates grant activities and programs with the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Foundation Board of Directors.
- Community Ticket Distributions: Community Relations department is responsible for the distribution of community gifted tickets to the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl Game. This occurs through the year.
- Coordinates and initiates special projects such as:
- New Year’s Season Festivities: Creates, implements and assists various committees with special projects associated with new and existing activities surrounding the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl Game.
- Teacher Grants Program
- Volunteer Events:
–City Parks Projects: Works with City of Pasadena Staff to identify and support park projects in the Pasadena area.
–Local Cultural Parades: Ensures the Association partners with the City of Pasadena to participate in local cultural parades and festivals. Maintains appropriate and close community relations to facilitate an effective working relationship between all stakeholders in the community and the Association.
- Provide expertise and development of outreach communications.
- Develops and manages operating budget for assigned area; provides variance reporting to senior management.
This position supervises the Community Relations Coordinator and Seasonal Assistant.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- BS Degree in or related field strongly preferred plus 10 years progressively more responsible experience working with elected officials, city/county staff, nonprofit organizations and education institutions.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED (unless stated otherwise)
• Knowledge of philanthropic institutions and best practices of these organizations.
• Knowledge of how various public sector institutions and organizations operate.
• Sound judgment and decision making
• Planning skills
• Problem solving skills
• Negotiation skills
• Works effectively with deadlines
• Meeting facilitation skills
• Open to feedback
• Prioritization skills
• Good collaboration and teamwork skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Ability to develop and manage a budget
• Adaptable and flexible with change
• Strategic thinking skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Good coping skills in high stress situations
• Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
• MS Office Suite
Candidates should submit resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org, only. Please, no phone inquiries.