LEAD EXECUTIVE – PARADE DEVELOPMENT OFFICE
The Pasadena Tournament of Roses Association is a volunteer organization that hosts America’s New Year Celebration with the Rose Parade presented by Honda, the Rose Bowl Game presented by Northwestern Mutual, and a variety of accompanying events. The earliest Tournament of Roses welcomed 3,000 spectators to its first parade filled with orange blossombedecked horse-drawn carriages. Today, the parade floats are a marvel of state-of-the-art technology, all tucked away beneath flowers and other all-natural materials. Viewers and visitors experience the beauty of the floral floats along with spirited marching bands and highstepping equestrian units along the 5 ½ mile route down Colorado Boulevard. The Rose Parade is one of the largest televised, live entertainment events. With a viewing audience of more than 37 million individuals, the Rose Parade is carried live on New Year’s Day by ABC, NBC, Univision, Hallmark Channel, RFD-TV and KTLA 5 in Southern California. The parade is also streamed live by Funny or Die.
SUMMARY OF PURPOSE OF JOB
This position is responsible for management and overall operation of the Parade Development Office. The qualified candidate will have a strong background in business, with live television production or major live event experience. The candidate should also have a proven track record of managing revenue generating teams. Key duties include: staff oversight and direction, revenue generation from sponsorship and float sales, sponsor activations, strategic partnerships, management of parade unit participation (floats, bands and equestrian units), and P&L responsibility for the department.
The position will report to the Executive Director/CEO.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for leading and managing the Parade Development Office, ensuring departmental goals are achieved, managing and leading the team, providing strategic direction and advice, and problem solving as needed. The Parade Development Office works to support all aspects of the parade, including all parade units (floats, bands, and equestrian units).
- Oversees sponsorship sales and float sales to ensure department revenue goals are achieved; supports strategic partnership team.
- Oversight and management of events produced by the Parade Development Office or in collaboration with partners.
- Works collaboratively with the Association’s parade creative consultant to ensure strong entertainment value in the Rose Parade; supports consultant’s work with Opening/Middle/Closing shows.
- Interacts and supports volunteer leaders of numerous committees in support of Association needs, including float construction, float entries, parade policy, formation, parade operations and street.
- Liaises with Pasadena city leaders and department representatives; maintains day-to-day relationships for the purpose of furthering the goals of the Association as they relate particularly to the Rose Parade.
- Liaises with public safety professionals throughout the year, but in particular in preparation for the Rose Parade.
- Serves as point of contact with television broadcast organizations and collaborates with the parade creative consultant as it relates to contract negotiations, parking, technical issues and other needs as they arise; responsible for international distribution efforts.
- Manages direct reports, to include: selection of staff, establishing goals and performance expectations, coaching and directing assignments, evaluation of performance and professional development.
- Serves as a member of the staff leadership team, which is responsible for planning, strategic initiatives and ensuring that annual organizational goals are achieved.
- Develops and manages operating budget for assigned area; full P&L responsibility; provides variance reporting to senior management.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- BS Degree required plus at least 10 years progressively more responsible experience in live television production or major live events. Experience in sales and revenue generation required. Prior experience working with volunteers preferred.
- Master’s degree in related field preferred.
COMPETENCIES REQUIRED (unless stated otherwise)
- Demonstrated management and leadership of professional staff
- Sound judgement and decision making
- Business acumen
- Planning skills
- Problem solving skills
- Advance negotiation skills
- Contract development and execution knowledge
- Works effectively with deadlines; prioritization skills
- Meeting facilitation skills
- Open to feedback
- Good collaboration and teamwork skills
- Ability to develop and manage a budget
- Adaptable and flexible with change
- Strategic thinking skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good coping skills in high stress situations
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
- MS Office Suite
If interested, please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.