The Pasadena Tournament of Roses invites you to join our first-ever Día de los Muertos Art Competition!
A tradition in Mexico that goes back more than 3,000 years, Día de los Muertos is an annual holiday that is now celebrated around the world. A celebration of life and death, the holiday spans two-days, during which it is believed that the spirit world and the real world become one, even if only for a moment. When it comes to traditions, festivities and flowers – we get the appeal. As an organization that’s all about a rose, the Pasadena Tournament of Roses can appreciate that the marigold holds such a prestigious place in this celebration.
SUBMISSIONS DUE BY NOON ON OCTOBER 28
WINNERS ANNOUNCED ON NOVEMBER 2 (details to come)
Prizes include scholarships and gift cards!
A few ideas of what you can create and submit:
- Construct an ofrenda (altar)
- Build a visual art presentation
- Create a floral arrangement
- Make and decorate a Sugar Skull
- Make a traditional Dia de los Muertos costume
- Write a literary calavera
- Paint a face with traditional Día de los Muertos makeup
- Create an art piece featuring marigolds and/or monarch butterflies
How to submit:
- Create your masterpiece
- Capture still images and video that represent your work
- Write a brief description of your submission
- Email your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Include your name, school and grade and your contact information
You must be between the ages of 4 and 18. Your masterpiece can take any shape or form, as long as it celebrates, reflects and honors the traditions of Día de los Muertos.
Three (3) winners will be selected in each age group; winner, 2nd runner up and 3rd runner up. Age groups are as follows:
- Ages 4 – 8
- Ages 9 – 13
- Ages 14 – 18
By submitting a video or photo submission, you grant the Pasadena Tournament of Roses use of your entry in any promotional materials now or in the future.
Email email@example.com with any questions!